Saturday, December 16, 2023

The Mummy's Tomb

We managed to cross the croc-infested river with minimal casualties. After a short hike, we entered the Valley of the Kings. The valley was filled with pyramids - the tombs of long-forgotten pharaohs.


We were able to find the tomb of the pharaoh Ank-ma-haren.

The Guardians
I, Comes Elias, led the first company into the tomb. We found ourselves in a large receiving chamber. Suddenly, the tomb guardians awoke and attacked. They were undead minions. I suspect that once they were soldiers for they fought with skill and ferocity,

The first attack whittled down our numbers but we countered with equal ferocity. Hacking and stabbing madly, we cut the guardians down. Then another wave beset us. Ulveblod went down, then some more of our comrades.

I called for reinforcements. The second company entered the fray, but the guardians took a toll on them as well. Next, Basilius went down. Then I waded into the battle. Fortunately, my heavy armor protected me. I was able to lead a counterattack that finally wiped out the guardians.

While our healers tended to the wounded, I led the remnants of my Legion into the depths of the pyramid.

The Pharaoh
In the lowest level of the pyramid we came to the pharaoh's burial chamber with a majestic sarcophagus. When we entered the chamber, the sarcophagus opened and a figure wrapped in linen strips.


The mummy challenged us. I told it that I had come for the Rod of Demon Slaying. I scoffed when it claimed that the Rod was not there. Then it cast a fireball at me! Ank-ma-haren was more than a dead pharaoh, he was a wizard as well!

I managed to block the fireball with my shield. The Legion rushed into battle, but the mummy used spells to repel us and separate us. It started chasing after Xeno so I rushed to his aid. Ank-ma-haren threw a spell at me but I dodged. Then I charged.

The mummy backed up as it tried to prepare another spell. As I pressed the attack, it retreated right into a stone column. There was a rumble, and suddenly a rain of stone fell onto Ank-ma-haren, burying it, well not quite alive.

A Surprise
We were now free to investigate the sarcophagus. In a hidden niche, we found a golden box. It had to be the resting place of the Rod of Demon Slaying! With great anticipation, we opened the box, and found a piece of papyrus.

On the papyrus was a note that read:
"If you seek the Rod, you are too late! I have claimed it."

It was signed Sodai-san.

We pondered who Sodai-san was. I thought he was a great hero, but Basilius opined that he could be a skilled thief. In either case, his name sounds like he is from Teikoku. Looks like we are now headed to that mysterious island.

GAME NOTES
The day's quest consisted of 2 parts.

First, we had to get past the guardians. The heroes got their usual allotment of hit points but only had 1 life. The guardians were weak, with 2 hit points, but they had 3 lives to represent a horde of them.

I was a hero first, with (I believe) Brett/Ulveblod on my team. Brett fell to the guardians' blades but I managed to defeat them. Then Robb/Basilius and Raf/Xeno took their turn as heroes. Alas, they both died.

I designed the second part of the quest to pit the survivors vs. the mummy. Unfortunately, I was the only survivor so technically I should have faced the mummy alone. Because I designed the mummy to be a match for multiple people, I brought Raf back to assist me. Let's just say that he got healed.

Anyway, the battle went more or less as described, up to the end. Robb played the mummy and was doing quite well against us. Then I charged and he backed into a tree, hitting his head against the trunk. Sorry about that, Robb! Anyway, he needed to recuperate so we declared the Legion victors and came up with the falling stones story.

I made the golden box out of a Chewy box and gold wrapping paper. I wrote the note on parchment paper. I plan to have the heroes go on a bit of a tour through the lands of our world before they get to the Rod.

No comments:

Post a Comment