Friday, January 26, 2024

The Oni

Tracking Sodai
Previously, we learned that an adventurer named Sodai had made off with the Rod of Demon Slaying. With a name like that, he had to be from Teikoku. We returned to our ship and headed off.

It was a difficult journey to Teikoku, but our troubles had just begun. We then had to deal with a suspicious populace, recalcitrant officials, and a language barrier. Nevertheless, we tracked Sodai to an isolated cave. On our way, the locals kept mentioning an oni, whatever that is.

Entering the Oni's Cave
We arrived at the cave and I sent in my first company. After they entered, I heard screams of horror and pain. Then most of the company came rushing out of the cave. Others were forcibly tossed out.

They told a tale of a horrific demon.

This demon used powerful magic to melt their weapons, instill fear, and even knock them about.

Apparently, physical attacks would not work.

Note: All the above is made up backstory to explain why we did not fight. In reality, I had an injury that prevented me from engaging in physical combat.

Confronting the Oni
Next, I sent in one of our priests, Gustavh, to scout out the situation and test the oni's magical abilities.

Gustavh entered the cave. The oni confronted him. Gustavh demanded to know what happened to Sodai. 

The oni pointed to bones strewn around the cave. "He is here somewhere."

Gustavh then demanded the Rod of Demon Slaying. The oni laughed at him, then spoke.

"I admire your courage, puny mortal. I could crush you like a bug, but I have a more entertaining idea. Let us have a contest, in 3 rounds. If you win 2 out of the 3, I shall reward you."

"And if I lose?" Gustavh asked.

"Then you die."

Bravely, Gustavh accepted the challenge.

The Contest
The first round of the contest was a knife-throwing challenge, using each other as targets.
  • Gustavh scored 3 hits on the oni.
  • The oni also scored three hits.
  • Going into a sudden death tie-breaker, Gustavh missed!
  • And the oni hit. The oni won the first round.
The second round was an archery contest - 5 shots at a shield about 20 paces away.
  • The oni scored 2 hits.
  • Gustavh then missed his first 3 shots.
  • Needing a hit to stay in the game, Gustavh's shot whizzed just past the oni's ear! The oni wins again!
Gustavh stoically admitted defeat and accepted his fate. But the oni was not done with him yet.

"That was enjoyable, mortal," the oni said. "I would very much like to try the last challenge, so I'll tell you what. If you win this next challenge, I will spare your life."

Mystical Mayhem
The oni challenged Gustavh to a magic duel.

"In my cave," the oni explained, "my mystical power is unlimited. But for our contest, I will limit myself to a mortal's level."

With that, the battle began in earnest. The last one standing would win!

The oni led off with a fiery blast, but Gustavh dodged. The priest replied with a bolt that wounded the oni.

Next, the oni used a web spell to hold Gustavh in place. It followed with another blast, but missed again! Meanwhile, Gustavh replied with more bolts and blasts that struck and seared his enemy.

Finally, the oni got his aim. His blast struck Gustavh. Flames licked over the priest, but he shook off the burns. His next bolt flew straight and true, striking the oni in the chest.

With that, the oni fell to its knees.

"Enough, mortal. You win. You have saved your life. Now go!"

Aftermath
Gustavh left the cave, returning to our company. He reported his findings to me.

The Rod must be in the cave, but how do we get past the oni? That is the dilemma we must solve.

GAME NOTES
As I mentioned above, I was nursing an injury so I could not engage in physical combat. I decided to turn the confrontation into a 3-part contest.

Throughout the game, I played the oni and Robb was Gustavh.

I believe I recorded the results of the first two contests accurately. Also, I wanted to do the magic duel so I made the proposal that Gustavh could save his life by winning it.

I don't remember all the specifics about the magic duel, so I used some artistic license. Nevertheless, I feel I got the general scene down. I definitely remember webbing Robb and then missing with a blast! My aim was horrible throughout! Ultimately, Robb wore me down and won, saving Gustavh.

No comments:

Post a Comment